Monday, April 16, 2007

When Will I Learn?


Don and I never played the “popular in the school district” game and sometimes our kids suffered; however, in the past, Don was actually here to “oversee” the kids sporting activities. When my youngest son received word of the baseball team he was to be on this summer, I took exception with the fact that he seemed to be on a team coached by someone outside our community. As a single mother, I was hoping that he would be on a team coached by a role-model from our own community with which he could “connect”. Selfishly, I wanted to be able to car-pool with parents I knew well and be able to count on their support.

As always, I took things into my own hands and emailed the head of the youth league my concerns. As I was reading his response, my 11-year-old was looking over my shoulder and asked “Mom, why are you emailing Mr. L?”. I told him and, of course, he was APPALED. He said to me “Mom, we will deal with the hand we are dealt. I DO NOT want any special treatment.” So, I sent another email to Mr. L (who, most likely, thinks I am a nut case by now) that we would simply stay with the original team my son was assigned to.

The next day I received the team roster. Though I do not know the coach, the son of our “spiritual development pastor” at our church was on the team (my son already has great admiration for this man) and also the father of another man who was friends with my husband.

WHEN WILL I LEARN? When will I “GET” that God is truly in control of our lives and those of our children? I long to, one day, have the faith of my 11-year-old son and embrace the “hand I have been dealt”.

This I KNOW for sure…

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marsha, all that I can say is WOW and YES. Often I am so moved by your words and experiences and insight. What a great one to share with all of us. I appreciate the reminder.

Faith of a child ... faith of a child ... faith of a child ...

Anonymous said...

P.S. I love you!

Marsha said...

Oh Linda,
There are times I am amazed how God has chosen to bless me with Godly friends---thank you--- that's all I have to say---thank you
Marsha

Marsha said...

oh and PSS
I love you too!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ain't that there grandson of mine a little smarter than or wiser, than we expect a maturing kid that was, now becoming the boy we know? "We will deal with the hand we are dealt." Have you been taking him to Vegas...where did he learn that language? NO!!!!I didn't mention Vegas, did I?

Evan and Julia Abla said...

Dad, you lost me in the first sentence.