Monday, April 09, 2007

DUMA!

My 11-year-old son and I love to watch movies together. We watch all kinds of movies, but have noticed that in many of the movies we watch together a parent dies. This could have been the way it was in movies we watch before, but we seem to be more keenly aware of this plot line now. With all we have been through you might think this to be horribly difficult to watch, but it really isn’t. Instead, it has opened dialogue between my son and me and has, in fact, assisted the healing process.

This weekend we watched the movie DUMA. DUMA was listed on my brother, Evan’s website as his favorite movie of the year. Now, Evan usually likes those artsy movies where, when I leave, I am left wondering what it was all about. Even with that in mind, we decided to take a chance and give this movie a try since it was about a South African boy who befriends a cheetah (who doesn’t fall in love with a cheetah cub). I am so glad that we did.

This is a lovely movie about friendship and the legacy of a father as the boy, Xan, goes on a journey to return his beloved cheetah back to its rightful home. The scenery is breathtaking and will make you want to hop on the nearest jet to South Africa to experience the “wild”. There are many poignant quotations in the movie, but one that really stands out is when Xan tells his new friend, Ripkuna, that his father died. Ripkuna articulates, “People go when they are ready to go, not when you are. We are all just travelers on the same river, grandparents, parents, sons and daughters. We all have our time on the river. We do what we can before we disappear”. How true.

Another moving scene is at the end of the movie when Xan expresses that his father will live on within him. At this point my son looked over at me and said, “That’s where dad lives on—in me.” Yes, yes he does.

This I know for sure.

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm going to make sure to watch this movie and put it on my list of "must watch" for when my daughter is older.

It sounds like your son is a very special boy to recognize that his daddy will be a part of him forever.

Marsha said...

Great idea Stephanie,
And yes, my son is one amazing kid. I have been blessed in that area--that's for sure. When you watch it, let me know what you think.
Marsha

Anonymous said...

Yes he is, Marsha. But just think where you have two, I have 5, Chad, Chandler, Eric, Caden, and Riley; add to that my own, Marsha, Marc, and Evan. Wow, can you believe...blessed 8 times over and then to get to share all of that blessing with their (grand) mother? I really struggled to put in that last sentence...I was fearful I would offend you...but you have her also. We are aware that none of us can take Don's place. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH..........Keep on loving my Grandchildren and being the loving mother (and all that means) to them.

Marsha said...

Well Dad,
You are right--both my boys and my nephews are special. As for my siblings--as much as I would prefer NOT to actually document what I feel, they are awsome also---you are right we are blessed. You and mom did an amazing job---we love you too.
Marsha

Tanja said...

Marsha,

I bought a bunch of dvd's for us for Christmas, and this was one of them. We never really took the time to watch it, but I think it's a good idea to do so this weekend. I need something to lift my spirits. Thanks.

Tanja