Thursday, May 08, 2008

Star Struck in Central Illinois


Matt Damon is in town filming THE INFORMANT. This has caused quite a stir in our small community of BIG industry (ADM, Tate and Lyle, Caterpillar). There have been star sightings all over town. When out with friends, I have heard "Did you know Matt Damon is staying with the _________'s?" to which I chuckle and say, "I heard he was staying with the _________'s, then someone else said he was staying at the Mark Whitacre house in Moweaqua or at the Decatur Conference Center."

Personally, I have a hard time believing that Matt Damon is staying at a former Holiday Inn (even if this is the best Decatur has to offer). Gossip and misinformation about him abounds. Our local newspaper has a site especially for those of us who are “star struck” and wish to trace Mr. Damon’s every move.
http://www.herald-review.com/informant/

I have not read the book about ADM executive Mark Whitacre who turned FBI informant uncovering the biggest antitrust case ever, but I ordered it yesterday along with a analogous book called Rats in the Grain. I remember when the news story unfolded in 1995 and ADM's dirty laundry exposed. It was one of the biggest news stories in town—for a few weeks. I hate to say that I paid little attention. The initial story had little or no effect on my life. Conversely, the movie being filmed in town has had greater impact than the original story---so sad to admit.

Nevertheless, it has been a wee bit of excitement for our otherwise mundane existence. I anxiously await the movie premier if for nothing more than to acknowledge the familiar local landmarks and who knows…perhaps I will have a brush with greatness before the set shuts down.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Slyvestor Stallone was in my hometown as a child to film his dud, F.I.S.T. He is a short man. He walked by close enough for me to touch him one time when we went to watch filming. I was in middle school and an inch or two shorter than now and I was taller than him then. He's got to be about 5'7".

Kevin Costner was all over when they filmed A Field of Dreams. The farm belongs to my cousin's in-laws. And my sister's friends drank with him in a bar one Friday night.

Famous people cause such a fuss, don't they?

Anonymous said...

I'm not much into celebrity. My own closest brush with someone famous was the time comedian Yakov Smirnoff and I "exchanged nods" in Branson, Mo. (It's a guy thing.)

I worked with a retired Conoco guy from Ponca City who made some easy money renting his house out to cast or crew when they were filming "Twister" there back in the '90's.

I didn't pay any attention at all, but the news media were all over Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie when they were in Edmonton to film "The Shooting of Jesse James by the coward Bob Ford" at Fort Edmonton Park.

Unknown said...

I've got one of those started-but-unfinished-and-unposted blogs on the "cult of celebrity. I actually feel sorry for Matt (I know, I know--how can I feel sorry for a kajillionaire?) But it's not like he can escape with a book to Panera at the end of a long day!

Anonymous said...

honey...i have the books and you could have just borrowed them...they are awfully thick...i may just wait for the movie!!!! the board misses you!!!! nance