Monday, January 26, 2009

Twenty Years Ago Today!

My son was born twenty years ago today. I can’t believe how quickly time has past. He was born at 2:43 in the afternoon, which no one I worked with will ever forget as it was the EXACT moment the last bell of the school day sounded, my favorite time of the day=) I remember both grandfathers scurrying around the hospital nursery, twenty-pound video cameras in hand trying to out do the other at the art of video-documenting this momentous event. You see Chad was the very first grandchild on either side of the family.

For choosing to get married terribly young, I did make the decision to wait seven years before starting a family. Chad’s father and I had the blessing of cultivating our relationship before beginning a family and when it was time for the arrival of our first child, we couldn’t have been more excited or more ready.

The past twenty years have flown by. I have had the privilege of watching my little boy grow into an amazing young man. Life has been blessed, but not always easy. Forced to become the “man of the house” way too young, Chad stepped confidently into the responsibility with honor. Through thick and thin, he has learned to discern and accept what life has thrown his way.

Watching as he maneuvers each life experience and as he melds his knowledge of the world with what is good and right, has been a journey worth experiencing. Chad explores wholeheartedly his future; never dismissing any of life's possibilities. “Difficult” or “demanding” don’t seem to impede his vision. I also observe the way he loves, and am thankful for the years of influence his father obviously had upon the way he respects, honors and is devoted to another.

There is no instruction manual that accompanies children. You dedicate them to God in front of witnesses, knowing they aren't yours to begin with. You do the best you can, hoping they grow into stable, secure adults. You cherish each moment and pray you don’t squander the limited time you have to guide them, yet all too soon they are grown up. Today, I honor my son on his 20th birthday: a man who is one of the brightest lights in my life. I am sure his father is looking down with pride, cheering him on and knowing the impact Chad will have on his world. That is his legacy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What can I say? His is one of the finest examples of young man hood. I cherish his love and enjoy the attention he give an old man. The world will be his for the taking. I will dedicate my prayer life to him and all his cousins and step cousins. My primary prayer is that he will always love God and be obedient to the Word, filled with peace and marvel at His Guidance.

your Dad

Anonymous said...

Marsha - I came across your blog quite by accident, (or so it seemed). I also lost my husband, 3 days after our anniversary, 09/19/08, quite suddenly. We have 3 beautiful sons, from 8 to 12. I started reading your blog and became captivated by the shared experiences. I was going to read it all the way through today and began at the beginning. However, having just completed 2006, I need to stop for now to take it all in. I look forward to reading/sharing more. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for sharing your journey.

Melanie
Michigan

Anonymous said...

A beautiful birthday card.

Happy 20th to your son and to you.

It got me thinking thought that by the time Katie is the same age, she will have known Rob more than 3x longer than she knew her Daddy Will.