Thursday, January 01, 2009

To Make an End Is to Make a Beginning

For last year’s words belong to last year’s language
And next year’s words await another voice.

And to make an end is to make a beginning.
-
T.S. Eliot, from his poem, “Little Gidding.”

Ah—a new year: 2009. Traditionally, at this point, we create grandiose promises to others and ourselves that we will somehow live better in 2009 than we did last year. While this is a noble undertaking, the mere completion of such lists often leaves us with feelings of apprehension, as we seldom are able to live up to the expectations we set for ourselves. Every year I do this. I create a list of ambitious goals designed to construct a more fulfilled life for the next year; by March we are discouraged and disheartened because we have failed so miserably in my attempt to accomplish our set goals.

2008 was a memorable year. I experienced great personal triumphs and few personal disappointments. I climbed to the apex of joy and fell to the depths of discouragement. I, at times, was proud of my life choices and at others extremely embarrassed by them. Thank heavens, as T.S. Eliot so eloquently wrote, “last year’s words belong to last year’s language”. Though we reap the consequences of our choices, we also are granted a chance to begin anew.

This year, instead of creating a list of resolutions, I wish to “await another voice”. I aspire to be open to 2009 and whatever God has for me with only one goal--that by the close of 2009, I can say that I have lived the year with honor and integrity. This is not taking the “easy way out”, on the contrary. It will require far more from me than merely checking off a list of resolutions; it addresses the core of possibilities. It takes into consideration who I am and aspires to the person I can become.

With the end of 2008, comes the hope of 2009; “to make an end is to make a beginning". Here's to our beginnings...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not easy at all. Being aware, alert and open is hard.

Anonymous said...

Interesting approach.

I try to content myself with progress throughout the course of the year. I think that, this year, just getting some goals in place will be good.