Sunday, October 22, 2006

With Courage and Conviction

I can not express to you the number of people who have said to me, “You know what the Bible says, God never gives us more than we can handle”. For the life of me I can’t seem to locate this in the Bible anywhere. The closest I can find is in 1 Corinthians 10:13b God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it. This is MUCH DIFFERENT from saying that “God never gives us more than we can handle”. What a bunch of bunk!! God gives us stuff we can’t handle all the time—financial struggles, family problems, loneliness, heartache, divorce, death, health difficulties---I could go on. What human could “handle” these things without extensive emotional damage? Who, on their own, could find contentment in the midst of these tragedies?

Though God gives us things we can’t handle all the time; I am grateful that he NEVER gives us more than HE can handle. Through Him we are not only able to “handle” anything, but are enabled to overcome difficulties and live the full life we deserve--the life God has for us. John 16:33 I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.

He has already overcome whatever it is we face; therefore, we can "take heart", stand tall and tackle life's biggest challenges with courage and conviction.

This I know for sure.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen! I agree with your blog entry, Marsha. The problem with the (mis)quote is that it makes the recipient feel like a failure.

BTW, I have a magnet on my refrigerator with this quote:

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much."
-Mother Teresa

Gotta love MT!

xo
Linda

Marsha said...

Right on Linda,
MT--is one of my favs!! LOL!!

I am constently amazed at the way God does work--like bringing wonderful widow friends into your life!!
Thank ya sis,
Marsha

Anonymous said...

I totally agree that it isn't that God won't give us more than we can handle. I believe he gives us things (trials or blessings depending how you want to view things) that we can't handle just by ourselves and so we have to reach out for His help in order to manage our struggles. Then to our amazement the things we thought were so hard to bear become our greatest blessings or give us the strength to reach out and help others like you are doing with your words.
THANKS ! for your thoughts! I'm glad I came across your page today!
LOVE ,
JMT

Marsha said...

Jmt,
You are so right----having God's help to "mangage our problems" is the answer---thanks so much for your insight.
Marsha